Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Kitchen Diary 2012 - Black Beans with Andouille
- 1 Cup Black Beans soaked in 2 Cups water and 1 teaspoon Kosher salt, overnight
- ¼ Cup diced onion
- About a teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 piece bacon, sliced
- Dashes of red pepper flakes, Spanish paprika
- About 1 Cup water
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 cup smashed, canned tomatoes
- A couple of smashed garlic cloves
- 2 links of Andouille sausage
Salt and hot sauce
Sauté the onion in the olive oil. Add the bacon, pepper flakes, and Spanish paprika – cook until the bacon is cooked, but not crisp. Add the beans, garlic, bay leaf, tomatoes, and garlic. Add water so that it covers everything to a half inch or so. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for a couple of hours. Toss in sliced Andouille sausage and cook until the sausage is done – if things seem too dry, add some more water. Give it a taste: add salt or hot sauce to taste.
Serve over rice.